London, UK | Job Posted 1/08/2017
Thomsons Online Benefits is a SaaS provider of global employee benefits and employee engagement software. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mercer, a global consulting leader in advancing health, wealth and career. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC). Thomsons’ award-winning platform, Darwin™, is the global market leader for automated employee benefits administration. With over 1 million worldwide users, Darwin™ connects employees with their benefits in over 86 countries and 24 languages. By using the right combination of editions, Darwin™ provides a tailored solution to meet a variety of employee benefit and reward needs, including employee engagement, managing risk, controlling costs and streamlining benefits administration. Its ability to constantly evolve and cater for shifting workforce needs has made it the provider of choice for seven of the world’s top ten technology companies. Thomsons has received 105 industry awards, including the prestigious Brandon Hall Group gold award for Best Advance in Rewards and Recognition Technology in 2015. Mercer and Thomsons combine world class consulting and broking with innovative technology that is driving transformation in the way that benefits are designed, communicated and administered.
This role is within the Legal Department ( a small team) providing advice on legal issues across the business with the primary focus being commercial contracts, intellectual property rights, data protection compliance (including the GDPR) and IT matters (including the Cloud).
• Negotiating, reviewing and drafting all types of contracts and legal documents;
• Playing a supporting and at times lead role in reviewing, drafting and advising on commercial contracts entered into by the business, particularly in the areas of IT (including cloud related issues) and data protection matters.
• Supporting the Head of Legal;
• Advising Thomsons business units on all areas of law (commercial, IT, IP, data protection)
• Facilitate legal/ commercial awareness and compliance across the business;
• Responsibility for maintaining and updating an archive and a database of all legal templates/ information;
• Managing external law firms and other professional advisors.
• Working proactively with the rest of the business in its work to ensure compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation before it comes in to force (May 2018).
• Providing legal support to the business on RFP’s and other ad hoc projects as required.
• Assisting the other members of the Legal Department in maintaining and growing its know-how and precedent base.
• Good working knowledge of contract law, intellectual property rights (focus on trademarks), technology and European (if not global) data protection law.
• Excellent drafting, communication (written and verbal) and negotiating skills.
• Ability to manage relationships with internal partners and external providers.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Proven ability to prioritise workload and to work to deadlines.
• Strong team player who seeks and gives empowerment.
• Flexible, positive and approachable with a pragmatic approach.
• Strong computer and technical skills and know-how.
• Experience of working in an in-house IT and or Financial environment, whether on secondment or otherwise.
• Committed, motivated and focussed.
• Combining high performance with high integrity culture.
• Be both guardian and valued business partner.
• Teamwork and empowerment.
• Excellence, proactive and innovative.
• UK Qualified Solicitor with extensive post qualification experience (having qualified within a leading city law firm).
Being a part of a global and successful, but still fast growing company.
An open, fail-friendly and fun environment.
We reward our people for living our values and contributing to our business through a variety of benefits and perks:
And the list goes on!