ABOUT THOMSONS ONLINE BENEFITS & OUR STORY:
Thomsons started life in 2000 when our co-founders Michael Whitfield and Chris Bruce wrote their first business plan. They had one clear aim - to use technology to revolutionise the employee benefit market.
In January 2013 the company was valued at almost £100m and in June 2015 we fully transitioned to a SaaS benefits technology provider. During December 2016 Mercer, global consulting leader in advancing health, wealth and career, acquired us.
Today, with over 100 industry awards under our belt and more than one million employees using Darwin globally in over 84 countries and 24 languages worldwide, we continue to revolutionise the benefits market and turn the world PINK as we go.
We remain passionately committed to going the extra mile for our clients, partners and people. Our values to ‘be brilliant together’, to ‘challenge everything and deliver excellence’ and to ‘maximise our potential’ are part of our unique culture, which is the glue that binds us.
As a Software Engineer you play a role in ensuring that your team can efficiently turn our ideas into reality. You’ll need to:
• Be passionate and enthusiastic about software engineering.
• Keep up to date with the latest Technologies.
• Innovate and come up with new ways to improve Darwin and the way we develop and deliver Darwin
• Track the progress that you are making towards the wider goals of your team, and transparently communicate that progress to your team and Technical Lead.
• Keep to the processes, standards and designs your team has agreed.
• Ensure you and others continuously improve, by proposing and implementing new processes, designs and engineering practices that make the team more effective.
• Contribute to the definition of product features, getting involved in workshops with other engineering teams and Product Management.
• Take responsibility for supporting your changes all the way through to proving that they work well – and continue to work well – in production.
• The day-to-day duties, include but are not limited to;
• Writing C#, ASP.NET, and Janus code.
• Writing database scripts for SQL and MongoDB.
• Working with other members of the Technology team and wider Thomsons’ team.
• You will be responsible for ensuring all the requirements of the features are implemented to the highest standard and meeting the requirements discussed and agreed with the relevant stakeholders.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR A “PINK” PERSON WITH:
• Graduate degree in Computing
• A good understanding of an object-oriented programming language, Agile development methodologies and continuous delivery
• Strong technical/programming ability, ideally familiar with Microsoft technologies.
• A desire to learn C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server, WCF, MVC, jQuery, TDD
• Enthusiasm about technology and a passion to learn on the job
• Honesty about your skills and knowledge
• The ability to apply problem solving skills to technical issues
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Good logical thinking and analytical approach to problem solving
• Working knowledge of DarwinTM code and infrastructure.
• Knowledge of Global and Asian benefits administration.
• Experience working with iDesign software architecture.
• Proven ability to forge working relationships cross teams, in and out of technology.
• Experience in Janus report configuration language.
Brownie points for any of the following:
• An Understanding of TDD
• Any contribution to open source projects
• Experience in Security
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM US?
Birthday day off.
Yoga, Zumba and fitness classes with a personal trainer
Free fruit in every office - yes, we all love cake – and there are many talented Thomsons bakers –but we want to encourage you towards your 5-a-day too!
Matching charity contributions, charity days off and Pay it Forward charity challenges
A spending account for you to spend on the things you decide are important
Pension, Life and medical insurance
And the list goes on!