London, UK | Job Posted 29/09/2017, Closing 28/10/2017
Contract Type: 18 month period initially which may be extended.
Salary : Competitive.
Every member of the Software Engineering department is responsible for:
• The availability, security, scalability of our Darwin platform.
• Delivering our product roadmap.
• Planning for the future.
• Generating enthusiasm and a sense of both technical and product pride.
As a Software Engineer you play a role in ensuring that your team can efficiently turn our ideas into reality. You’ll need to:
• Be passionate and enthusiastic about software engineering.
• Keep up to date with the latest Technologies.
• Innovate and come up with new ways to improve Darwin and the way we develop and deliver Darwin
• Track the progress that you are making towards the wider goals of your team, and transparently communicate that progress to your team and Technical Lead.
• Keep to the processes, standards and designs your team has agreed.
• Ensure you and others continuously improve, by proposing and implementing new processes, designs and engineering practices that make the team more effective.
• Contribute to the definition of product features, getting involved in workshops with other engineering teams and Product Management.
• Take responsibility for supporting your changes all the way through to proving that they work well – and continue to work well – in production.
• The day-to-day duties, include but are not limited to;
• Writing C#, ASP.NET, and Janus code.
• Writing database scripts for SQL and MongoDB.
• Working with other members of the Technology team and wider Thomsons’ team.
• You will be responsible for ensuring all the requirements of the features are implemented to the highest standard and meeting the requirements discussed and agreed with the relevant stakeholders.
Essential for this position:
• Graduate degree in Computing
• A good understanding of an object-oriented programming language, Agile development methodologies and continuous delivery
• Strong technical/programming ability, ideally familiar with Microsoft technologies.
• A desire to learn C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server, WCF, MVC, jQuery, TDD
• Enthusiasm about technology and a passion to learn on the job
• Honesty about your skills and knowledge
• The ability to apply problem solving skills to technical issues
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Good logical thinking and analytical approach to problem solving
• Working knowledge of DarwinTM code and infrastructure.
• Knowledge of Global and Asian benefits administration.
• Experience working with iDesign software architecture.
• Proven ability to forge working relationships cross teams, in and out of technology.
• Experience in Janus report configuration language.
Brownie points for any of the following:
• An Understanding of TDD
• Any contribution to open source projects
• Experience in Security
Being a part of a global and successful, but still fast growing company.
An open, fail-friendly and fun environment.
We reward our people for living our values and contributing to our business through a variety of benefits and perks:
And the list goes on!